Carbon Monoxide Safety

January 24, 2018

At Randy’s Electric, our main concern is the well-being and safety of you and your loved ones. Whenever we finish a job, we want to be sure that your home will be as safe as possible after we leave. Even though we do the best job possible in your homes, it’s impossible to completely eliminate all risks. One major risk in a home is exposed to carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide can lead to tissue damage or death if not treated as soon as possible.

Causes of Carbon Monoxide Leaks

Every home contains appliances that can potentially release carbon monoxide. Gas fires, stoves, boilers, heating systems, water heats, and cookers are all at risk. The better shape these appliances are in, the less room for error they will have. This is why it’s important to have your various systems inspected and serviced regularly. When a professional looks over your appliances, they will be able to locate any issues or potential causes for concern. From there, they will go over your options with you to best remedy the problem.


Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when it builds up in your bloodstream. If you or a loved one are experiencing the following symptoms, evacuate the area to fresh air and call emergency services:

  • A headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Sudden hearing loss or ringing
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Children, pregnant women, and the elderly are especially at risk from exposure


Carbon monoxide detectors are an essential feature that every home must have. The law in Minnesota states that there needs to be carbon monoxide detection placed outside of each legal bedroom, within 10 feet. Here at Randy’s electric, we can interconnect them with your smoke detectors. This will give you added security – when one goes off the rest will signal alarm as well. This allows you and your loved ones extra time to deal with the problem.Because these home safety systems are so important, you should always have a trained and certified professional install them. This will guarantee that they are in place, working properly, and up to code. At Randy’s electric, we will upgrade a smoke/carbon monoxide detector for free if we replace at least two older, outdated units in your home. Our main goal is to keep you and your home safe, so call us today with any questions or concerns that you may have about carbon monoxide and detectors.